Blood pressure is one of the most common occurrences in people in old age. As per a recent study published in Harvard, around 15% deaths occur due to hypertension or high bp.
Of course, there are no direct symptoms of high blood pressure but there are many serious side effects on the vital organs of the body. This is why most of us are unaware that we are suffering from high bp unless we see some physical manifestation in some or the other form.
Note: You should go for a regular medical check up to control such medical conditions at the onset. The sooner you start coping with such diseases the better it is for you.
What can high blood pressure lead to?
High blood pressure can lead to heart ailments such as stroke, kidney malfunctioning leading to water retention in the body, poor thinking ability and memory loss, diabetes, vision loss and metabolic disorder. Of course, these are all in the extreme cases when blood pressure is left unchecked for years together.
Remedies to cure blood pressure naturally:
High Blood pressure if left unchecked, can damage the vital organs of the body. It acts as a slow killer and causes irreversible damages in the longer run.
There are certain remedies suggested by British Heart Foundation, which are:
- Check your weight: Obese people tend to develop high bp more than people having balanced weight. The arteries and veins may get clogged with cholesterol and fat deposits, raising the blood pressure of the obese people. Hence, losing weight is essential to control bp.
- Workout and walk: A regular work out definitely helps to improve blood circulation and lowers down the bp. Studies have revealed that a brisk 30 minutes of walk lowers the bp to 8mmHg as against 6mmHg.
- Meditation: Stress is one of the major contributor towards high bp. Meditation helps to calm down your body and mind, hence reducing the stress. Stress hormones when released promote the secretion of another hormone called ‘Renin’ which increases the bp further.
Hence, it is essential to keep the stress hormone secretion to bare minimum and mediation is a proven effective tool to achieving minimum stress. You need to meditate for at least 10 minutes in the morning as well as evening.
- Reduce salt intake: Sodium boosts up the blood pressure further leading to further complications.
Why eating more sodium is harmful?
Kidneys are responsible to filter your blood by removing water content from it and along with it, it throws out the toxins. When you take excess sodium than sodium absorbs the water back into the blood making it dilute.
Over the period of time, the blood vessels start thickening leaving less space for blood to flow in. Due to this, there is less amount of blood transported to all the body parts and which devoid them of getting enough oxygen and nutrients.
Over a period of time, this inappropriate blood supply may even lead to Angina or heart pain.
Recommended Salt doze: One levelled tea spoon full of sodium is what you should take if you are hypertensive.
Note: Many readymade food like breakfast cereals, bread, butter, cheese, pickles contain high amount of salt though they may not taste salty. Hence, to keep your sodium intake checked never add salt to your food while cooking.
Make use of pepper, herbs and lemon to flavour the food. Also, check the labels on food packets for sodium content before buying. Generally, a green mark is seen if the products are low in sodium.
List of super salty foods that should be avoided:
- Cheese and Butter
- Salty Spread- savoury spreads like peanut butter, mayonnaise, etc.
- Processed junk food like chips, packed munchies, peanuts, pop-corn, etc.
- Savoury sweets- sweet and salted biscuits, salted caramel, etc.
- Say bye-bye to liquor and tobacco: Liquor and tobacco can be fatal in many ways. You may not know the ill-effects of liquor and tobacco until you end up having a medical condition.
Some researchers claim that taking liquor in small amount is beneficial for health but liquor in any form is harmful and should be avoided.
- Take potassium rich healthy food: This research is not recommended by British Heart foundation but there are many other researches that support that potassium intake indeed helps.
The following are potassium rich food:
- Green leafy vegetables
- Sweet potatoes
- Kidney beans
- Raisins, etc.
Herbs that are useful in controlling high blood pressure naturally
Basil, cinnamon, cardamom, flaxseed, ginger and garlic helps in lowering the blood pressure naturally. These herbs should be mixed in food and consumed on daily basis.
Hope, this was useful for you! Please drop in your comments…….