Freedom to move is often taken for granted till when it gets restricted. Do you know that Arthritis affects more than 180 million people in India?
Women are more susceptible to arthritis as compared to their male counterparts. You would be surprised to know that prevalence of arthritis is more than most common diseases like diabetes, cancer and AIDS.
Arthritis is non-curable but it can be treated to minimize the symptoms. The worst part about having arthritis is that you feel pain in the knees and other body joints every time you try to move around. It’s like every single step you take hurts and hence matters a lot.
There are other concerns that come up with arthritis such as loss of independence as you start depending on others to fetch you things all the time, reduced outings, constant pain, stiffness and pain in joints in early morning, weight gain due to lack of movement, etc.Though, there are pain killers and therapies available to bring respite to your arthritic joints but natural home remedies would help you deal with it effectively in the longer run. Alternatively, these natural remedies would also help you to reduce dependence on harmful painkillers and steroid containing applicants which are administered for arthritis.
Natural cures to deal with Arthritis
As you kick start you day, you feel a lot of stiffness and pain in the joints in morning hours. The best way to deal with it is to use warm shower baths which will make your joints flexible and reduce the pain to a great extent.
There are two types of arthritis – Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis. In Osteoarthritis, the cartilage present between the bones gets damaged due to which one bone hits on to another which causes severe pain. In Rheumatoid arthritis, the synovial membrane swells up causing pain and discomfort and it also leads to bone loss in many cases.
The remedies given below are effective in both types of arthritis. And, these remedies will also help you to improve the overall health and condition of your arthritic joints. Please take a look:
1. Ginger, cinnamon and Turmeric:Turmeric, cinnamon and ginger are natural anti-inflammatory spices. They help in reducing swelling and pain in the affected joints. Turmeric is also a good anti-oxidant and is sometimes also advised to be applied locally on the joints, mixed in warm mustard oil.
The best way to consume ginger, cinnamon and turmeric is to mix them with honey and gulp it down. You must consume only warm water after taking it. Alternatively you can add ginger and cinnamon in your regular tea and can consume turmeric with honey.
2. Magnesium rich food: Magnesium helps to relive stiffness and pain in the muscles and nerves by helping them to relax. It is an important micronutrient that is needed by the human body but is not manufactured inside. Hence, diet rich in magnesium is a good way to suffice your body with this important mineral.
Yoghurt, green leafy vegetables, seeds, nuts, fish, bananas, dry fruits, avocados, dark chocolate, etc. are the food which are rich in magnesium.
A daily consumption of 400 mg of Magnesium is needed by our body. Excess to this will be excreted out of the body. If magnesium is consumed in huge amounts than it may lead to diarrhoea as the body needs to throw out anything in excess.
3. Healthy food: People with a severe disorder like Arthritis should stop eating junk food immediately. Diet has a severe impact on your overall health and eating healthy can help you fight with the symptoms of arthritis in a big way.
You can try changing your food habit to Mediterranean style of cooking. It uses lot of fresh veggies, fruits, whole grains, fish, nuts, olive oil, onions and other nutritious herbs.
The recipes are available online and you may also click on the links below:
4. Green Tea: Green Tea contains polyphenols which are anti-inflammatory substances than help in reducing swelling and pain. Try taking green tea for two to three times in a day. It will also help to reduce weight over a long period of time.
5. Garlic and Black Pepper: Garlic acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and provide great respite in arthritic joints. The cytokines present in garlic helps to fight with inflammation.
The main ingredient in black pepper is capsaicin which reduces pain and swelling. It offers many other health benefits as well.
7. Massage and Exercise: Seek help from a physical therapist who would guide you on massage and exercises that need to be done. You may find it difficult to perform any exercise with arthritic joint but it is must to exercise the arthritic joint to retain free mobility lifelong. But, you must exercise and massage as per the recommendation of certified physical therapist.
Hope, this information was useful and please feel free to drop in your comments.